For those looking to travel internationally from Australia, obtaining a passport is an essential requirement. But how much exactly does an Australian passport cost? The fee varies depending on factors such as age and validity period.
For adults 18 years and older, a standard passport with a validity of 10 years costs AUD 298, while a child passport (for those 0-17 years old) with a validity of five years costs AUD 148. These fees are valid as of August 2021 and are subject to change. Additionally, there are fees for expedited processing or replacement passports, which can cost more than the standard fee.
It’s important to note that the Australian passport application process also requires additional documents and fees such as passport photos, and if applicable, parental consent forms. In order to avoid delays or additional fees, it’s important to carefully review the Australian passport application process and requirements before submitting an application.
Passport Application Fees in Australia
Applying for a passport in Australia comes with a fee. The amount of this fee depends on the type of passport you need and how fast you need it.
Here are the current fees for standard passport applications:
|Type of Application||Fee (AUD)|
|10-year passport (for persons aged 16 and over)||$298|
|5-year passport (for children under 16)||$148|
|Emergency passport overseas||$196|
If you need your passport urgently or express, you will have to pay an additional fee. Here are the fees for expedited passport applications:
|Type of Application||Fee (AUD)|
|Priority processing (2 business days)||$211|
|Priority processing (1 business day)||$331|
|Priority processing (3-hour service)||$406|
It’s important to note that these fees are subject to change, so be sure to check the Australian Government’s passport website for the most up-to-date fees.
When applying for your passport, you will also need to factor in additional costs such as passport photos and postage. Additionally, if you need to renew your passport, the fees and requirements may be different from those for a first-time passport application.
Additional Fees for Passport Services
When applying for a passport in Australia, there are various additional fees you may need to pay depending on the type of service you require. Here are the most common ones:
- Priority processing: If you need your passport urgently, you can request priority processing for an additional fee of $216. This service applies to both adult and child applications, and reduces the processing time to 48 hours (excluding delivery time).
- Overseas surcharge: If you’re applying for a passport overseas, an additional surcharge of $137 will be applied to your application fee to cover the extra costs associated with processing applications outside of Australia.
- Delivery fee: Once your passport is ready, you will need to pay a delivery fee of $12. If you’re applying from overseas, the delivery fee will be higher depending on your location.
It’s important to note that the prices listed here are accurate as of May 2021, but may be subject to change. For the most up-to-date pricing information, please refer to the official Australian government passport services website.
|Additional Fee||Cost (AUD)|
By understanding these additional fees, you can better prepare for the total cost of your passport application in Australia.
Factors that Affect Passport Fees
There are several factors that affect passport fees in Australia, including:
- Type of passport: The cost of a passport can vary depending on the type of passport you need. For example, a standard adult passport is cheaper than a frequent traveller passport or a child passport.
- Validity period: The validity period also affects the cost of a passport. The longer the period of validity, the more expensive the passport will be.
- Urgency level: If you need your passport urgently, you may have to pay an additional fee for expedited processing.
- Delivery options: You may have to pay an extra fee if you want your passport to be delivered to you quickly or if you want it delivered to a specific location.
- Exchange rate: Passport fees are usually quoted in Australian dollars, but if you are paying with a foreign currency, the exchange rate may affect the final cost of the passport.
Here is a table that summarises the current passport fees for Australian citizens as of 2021:
|Passport Type||Fee (AUD)|
|Standard Adult Passport (10 years)||$301|
|Frequent Traveller Passport (10 years)||$481|
|Child Passport (5 years)||$152|
|Senior Passport (10 years)||$152|
Keep in mind that fees can change over time and may vary depending on individual circumstances. It’s always best to check with the Australian Passport office for up-to-date information on passport fees.
Saving Money on Passport Fees
Passports can be an expensive investment, especially when considering the various fees involved in the application process. However, there are a few ways to save money on passport fees and keep some extra cash in your pocket. Here are some tips to help you along:
- Apply Online: When applying for a passport, it is always more cost-effective to apply online rather than in person. This is because the application fee is lower for online applications than for those submitted in person.
- Renew Early: If you have a passport that is approaching its expiration date, it is more cost-effective to renew it early rather than waiting until it has expired. Renewing early can save you money on application fees, and it also allows you to avoid the additional fees associated with expedited processing.
- Skip the Extras: When applying for a passport, you will likely be presented with a variety of optional services and additional features. These can include expedited processing, premium services, and additional copies of your passport. While these options can certainly be helpful, they can also add up quickly and increase the cost of your passport significantly. Consider skipping these extras to keep costs down.
- Be Prepared: One of the biggest factors that can increase the cost of your passport is the need for additional documentation or forms. To avoid this, make sure to carefully check the passport application requirements and gather all necessary documentation before submitting your application.
By following these tips, you can keep the cost of your passport down and ensure that you have the necessary documents for your travels.
|Apply Online||Applying for a passport online is cheaper than submitting an application in person.|
|Renew Early||Renewing your passport before its expiration date can save you money and avoid expedited processing fees.|
|Skip the Extras||Optional services and additional features can quickly increase the cost of your passport. Consider skipping them to save money.|
|Be Prepared||Gathering all necessary documentation before submitting your application can help avoid additional fees or costs.|
In conclusion, acquiring an Australian passport is a straightforward process that requires a few essential documents and a small fee. The cost for an adult passport is currently AUD 298, while a child’s passport is AUD 148. The government of Australia understands the critical role passports play in international travel, and as such, has implemented a user-friendly application online platform that guarantees a smooth and seamless application process.
It is crucial to note that additional fees may apply, such as expedited processing fees and surcharges for photos or other required documentation. Therefore, it is crucial to confirm all the necessary fees beforehand to avoid surprises and delays in getting a passport.
Having an Australian passport gives the holder unlimited visa-free access to more than 170 countries worldwide, which is an excellent plus for frequent travelers. It is a document of great importance to Australian citizens who plan to travel internationally, and it is recommended to apply well in advance of departure to avoid stress and complications.
We hope this article has provided the needed information about how much an Australian passport costs and what the requirements are. Safe travels!